Thursday, August 7, 2014

My True Identity



My generation (the Jesus Movement folks from the 1960’s and 1970’s) was looking for "Who am I" and "Why am I here". We’re the “I’m okay, You’re okay” generation. I have noticed the millennial generation is also asking those same questions. They are looking for something much deeper than the "church" is giving them. They are looking for themselves, but they can't find it in the traditional church.

 I happen to know that it would be very easy to discover who we are and why we're here, but "stuff" got in the way. You know “stuff”, Life. I understand that every culture wants a person to conform to the modes of that culture. People tell you, you must do or be this or that to become yourself. You must dress this way or look like that model.  You must have this kind of body.  You need to worship only in this manner to know God and find yourself. That is such nonsense!

I found my identity; yup, my true identity.  Once I found that, and understood who I was; the “Why am I here” just naturally came to light!  Knowing that identity – that ME - it has changed my perspective in the way I look at myself and others. It even changed how I approach difficulties and even wonderful surprises!  My worldview has taken on a whole new perspective.  Where I was negative, I see the positive.  If there is a problem, instead of complaining, I seek a solution to that problem.

There is a passion in my life that was stuck somewhere, until now. I have a passion for Life, myself, my family, my neighbors, even the nations of this world. It is like I’ve received new lenses for my eyes and a new heart. I never knew I could love so vast and deep. Where there was a half empty glass, now it really is full. No half empty or half full glasses in my life any longer.

Was there a world changing event in my life?  Yes, but that was back in 1973. That was the beginning of this journey. The REALLY knowing who I am has taken me a lifetime since then. I have a purpose in this life. I have an identity that will never change.  Who showed me who I am?  Jesus Christ.   I am His daughter; daughter of the King. My identity is in him.