Tuesday, November 29, 2016

THANKSGIVING

Every year in November people get all thankful, because of the one day a year we are to give thanks.  Doesn’t that seem rather silly?  I mean, one day a year, set aside just to be thankful. That doesn’t seem right to me.  Why?

Well, having a thankful heart should be year around.  I know, there are some folks that are going through hell and it’s hard for them to be thankful. There are those that are marginalized; homeless, drug addicts, prostitutes, widows, newly divorced and those that are traded for sex as children. These people find it very difficult to be thankful. I can’t really imagine what that must be like.

Yet the Bible says,”
“Give thanks to God no matter what circumstances you find yourself in. (This is God’s will for all of you in Jesus the Anointed.)" 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (VOICE)

There are so many people across our nation, that can be thankful that they have jobs, a family they are at least communicating with. They have a roof over their heads, warm clothes to wear, and food on their table. Basic needs are met.  Yet, even these folks aren’t very thankful. They can find something, focus on it and be critical. Doesn’t matter how much they do have and I just shake my head.

My husband and I were close to being homeless; more than some of our friends realize. We struggled with Jim being out of work and making our bills. We went to the food bank just to stretch what funds we did have from unemployment. When unemployment was gone, we had to make it stretch even farther.It was not easy. It was difficult. But through all of that, we were thankful.

We have a faith that is unshakeable. A faith in the Creator of the Universe, who sent His Son to earth to live and die just for me, for all of us.  It is having a relationship with my Creator that gives me that thankful heart.  He loves me.  I love Him. We talk all the time thus, I have a very close relationship with Him. He lets me know that He is standing with me, and sometimes carrying me.

Over and over again Jim and I have seen Him provide for us in the most amazing ways.  I don’t know why.  I just know that He loves us. We are His children and he wants to provide for us.  I also know that He stood by us in our darkest moments. Those moments when we felt helpless, hopeless, and in despair.  Yet, His presence was still there.  I could tangibly feel it.  But, I could only feel it because I had a close relationship with Him.  I longed for His presence and sought it out.

Being thankful comes from within, not from circumstances outside of us. Otherwise, who would be thankful?  I think true thankfulness is learned from our Creator. He teaches me so many things. More than I can write here, but it is a daily learning. It is a daily discipline to come before Him - humbly with hands and heart open for more of Him.
 
“Give thanks to the Eternal, and call out to Him. Teach the people His deeds.”